In this 10-week online workshop (Mondays from June 5–August 14), each participant will gain an understanding of the methodologies and processes used to produce digital typefaces today.
The main objective of this workshop is to introduce the systematic structure of a type design process, focusing on the basic conceptual foundations of the craft, including techniques and best practices for drawing, designing, and spacing type.
Participants will work on the development of specific tasks throughout the week and share their progress before each class for review. Participants will then practice the strategies, sketches, and fundamental aspects of making letters, get feedback on their projects, while they also learn various lessons about typography and—why not—life.
This course is suitable for those who are just beginning to think about type design, and for those with some experience in drawing letters (calligraphy, lettering, etc.) who are looking for a space to exchange knowledge and develop skills. Some experience with drawing Bézier curves (in Adobe Illustrator, for example) and/or with lettering or calligraphy in general is recommended, but not required.
- Understand the basics of letter construction.
- Learn techniques, tips, and tricks for drawing letters.
- Make a typeface from start to finish.
- Share some theory and history, and quite a bit about things other than typography.
- Your own computer, which must run Mac OS X 10.10 or higher to run Glyphs App.
- Sketch paper, pencils, markers, and calligraphic pens (no specific brand or quality required) are recommended for the initial stages of the project.
Diversity & Equity Scholarship
Diversity and Equity are important to all of us at Letterform Archive, and we are committed to increasing opportunities for underrepresented groups within the type and design communities.
We are offering one BIPOC/Equity scholarship seat in this workshop.
To apply for this scholarship, please complete and submit to us the short form linked here at least a week prior to the start of the workshop.
Please note that we limit class size for this workshop, so everyone may receive one-on-one feedback from the instructor.